This fund supports the repair and maintenance of the Greene Farmstead buildings which are under the management of the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County. The fund, which was created in 1971, was established as an endowment in 1989.
William B. Greene (1886-1982) donated ten acres of the family’s homestead property to the Foundation. The proceeds from the sale of the property to the Forest Preserve were placed in a designated fund the following year to ensure the perpetual guardianship of the Greene Homestead.
William Greene was born in Lisle, Illinois. He graduated from the University of Illinois in 1908 with a degree in mechanical engineering.
In 1916, he was advertising manager and Harry H. Barber was an engineer for Stephens-Adamson Manufacturing Company in Aurora. They saw a future in standardized material handling machines and decided to form the Barber-Greene Company. Mr. Greene continued his active management of the company until 1966 when he retired as chairman of the board.
He was a charter member of the Aurora Kiwanis Club, a member of the Union League Clubs of Aurora and Chicago, Illinois State Chamber of Commerce, Aurora Chamber of Commerce and Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.
He served as president of the Construction Industry Manufactures Association, Aurora College, the American Road Builders Association and the International Road Federation.
Mr. Greene was a charter member of the Community Foundation and served as president for thirteen years.
William Greene authored three historical books that provide poignant reflections of the Greene Family and insightful descriptions of early Midwestern farm life.
William B. Greene’s Memoirs
The Greenes on the East Branch of the DuPage (1966), God Bless Our Home (1977) and Dear Progeny (a supplement to God Bless Our Home written at a later undated time) were converted into electronic books in 2011 through the guidance of the Community Foundation of the Fox River Valley.