This fund was created upon receipt of a bequest from Lorraine Bryant.
Mrs. Bryant (1904-2002) was a member of St. John A.M.E. Church where she served as a nurse’s aide. She also was involved in the missionary work of the church.
Mrs. Bryant had no children of her own, but she was called “Mother” by those she knew.
She enjoyed the simple pleasures of life – feeding the birds, watching over her flowers and sharing interesting stories with friends. Her life was filled with prayer and with the singing of hymns.
According to friends, Mrs. Bryant had a deep respect for higher education and had often expressed her personal wish for that opportunity.
Her bequest to the Foundation was her way of providing to future generations the one dream that had eluded her in life.
Mrs. Bryant was preceded in death by her husband, Gilbert Bryant.